On successful completion of the course the candidates will be able to:
- Demonstrate their ability to correctly interpret Rule Book Track Safety Handbook (TSH) and relevant Local Instructions when required to go on or near the line.
- Demonstrate their understanding and ability to follow a safe system of work.
- Demonstrate their ability to use tools and equipment.
- Demonstrate their understanding of Permanent Way terms and procedures
Candidates must be over the age of 16 and sponsored by a link-up approved railway company before undertaking the PTS course. This is a company who have been audited and certificated to supply workers to the Railway Industry. The Sentinel co-ordinator of this sponsoring company will need to sign our course booking form to confirm their intent to sponsor you and supply their linkup site ID number.
Candidates will also need to have completed a medical and drug & alcohol screening prior to attending the course.
Only those with a sufficient grasp of the English language to be able to give an emergency call will be eligible to attend.
Please note this course is a 10 day course and is carried out over 10 working days ie Monday to Friday on the first week and Monday to Friday on the second week.
Candidates will gain the following competences following completion of the 10 day Track Induction:
- Personal Track Safety (PTS)
- Manual Handling (QTS In-house)
- Fire Awareness (QTS In-house)
- Emergency First Aid (SQA Accredited)
- Access Overhead Lines Construction Sites (OLEC1)
- 5 Day Track Engineering
PLEASE NOTE IN ACCORDANCE WITH SENTINEL SCHEME RULES ALL SAFETY CRITICAL TRAINING MUST BE BOOKED AND PAID FOR BY THE PRIMARY SPONSOR